An ongoing attempt to make unfiltered content appear semi-intelligent...

An ongoing attempt to make unfiltered content appear semi-intelligent...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Still Alive

Well, I survived the fast. When I was preparing to start this whole gig, I thought I was going to experience a major struggle, and come out the back side with a whole bunch of horror stories. So let me tell you how many I have: none, zero, zilch, nada.

I did experience a lot of revelations into the way I spend my free time, but nothing that I would consider negative. To preface this, you should know that I have what doctors call an “addiction” with television. I realize this, but I also find therapeutic value to escape into a world of fantasy after a long day of academia. Watching television was the most difficult to give up, especially over a weekend full of college football games.

So, here’s my list of new-found discoveries:

Television-

Channel I can’t live without: ESPN

Channel I thought I couldn’t live without, but turns out I can: Bravo

Program I wanted to watch the most: NBC Nightly News

Radio-

Station I can’t live without: ESPN Radio (I’m sensing a theme here…)

Program I can’t live without: Dan Patrick Show

Internet-

Thing I missed the most:

Thing I didn’t miss at all: Facebook

Cell Phone:

Eh. Didn’t bother me that much, with the exception of a few times when I wanted to tell friends/family something random in a specific moment. It’s worthless three days later.

Highlights:

Best of the fast: Quiet time with my wife and kids

Worst of the fast: Feeling like I couldn’t reach my family if needed

Technology I’m most grateful for: DVR (I told you, I have a problem)

So, what did I learn most from all this? As wonderful as technology is, and despite all the great and wonderful things it can help you do, there is life outside of it. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that it made me realize that I am a slave to certain technologies, but I didn’t feel much of a loss not to have access to them. Most of all, it made me realize how fun quiet time with my wife and kids can be; and that time provides more enjoyment and gratification than any TV show. (Except maybe The Office…or White Collar…or Modern Family…or The Event… oh, did I mention every show on ESPN? J)

Moving forward, I want to try and implement a “media fast” weekend once a month, and spend some real quality time with my family. I would suggest everyone try it once in a while—it’s quite liberating.

And yes, I do realize “Thing I missed the most” under Internet is blank. I honestly can’t think of anything. I suppose that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment